CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 30, 2010

in which i damn thinspo sites and offer some optimism

If you're my friend on facebook, you probably saw me post a status saying 'there are times when I just really hate the world.'

Here's an example of why. http://fromthintofatandbackagain.tumblr.com/
Thinspo sites. Seriously. what. the. f.
Every single one of these should be shut down.  


Look I get that you have the First Amendment on your side and it's your lifestyle choice. You're going to say 'you don't understand me' and 'you have no right to tell me how I get to live' and 'it's my body, I can do with it what I want' and all that crap.


You're right in one regard. I'll never understand you. I've never come to the point that I've wanted to restrict or purge as an emotional response to what's wrong in my life (or for whatever reason you choose to do it). Because quite frankly I love food. So maybe I'll never fully understand how you choose to act the way you do. But I've seen what it does.

Eating disorders nearly killed one of my friends...twice.
Eating disorders nearly tore my family apart.
Eating disorders ruined me for months.


AND YOU DEDICATE A SITE TO SUPPORTING THIS?! 
You tell the world that this is fine. You tell the world that your struggles against the forces of food are some sort of valiant martyrdom and your self-destruction is a victory.


You are wrong. Terribly, completely, utterly wrong.


You are succumbing to the darkest forces known to man with every restriction, every purge, every dark thought.


Your beauty is not tied to your weight. Your value is not tied to your weight. 


Your beauty lies in who you are. And who you are is not your figure. Who you are is who you love, what you do, your passions, your dreams. And if any of those involve your figure, these aren't you. These are sick perversions. Don't let them define you.


I realize that platitudes like these don't work most of the time. I'm holding out hope that they'll work for someone. I realize that thinspo sites aren't going to go away because an angry teenager told them to. I'm hoping that this will diminish their power to some slight degree. 

4 comments:

RimAlexa said...

I'm pissed too. There are so many of these on tumblr.
I just saw a shirt on tumblr, promoted by Urban Outfitters, I think that says "Eat Less"

Mike said...

*facepalm*
Wow.

Emily said...

For some of us, being a girl is damn hard. It's not even that we believe that girls are supposed to look like models or the girls in magazines. I know they're Photoshopped and I have no trouble looking at them and seeing how fake they are. What's hard is having a best friend or two who don't work out and eat what they want and still weigh 15-20 pounds less than you or look better in their clothing than you do. Even if your friends are athletic, it doesn't matter. There's no way we can at our skinny friends and say, "Well, she's just Photoshopped." Some people really DO just have smaller bodies.

I guess to sum up...this kind of thing is wrong and very sad, but I see where they're coming from. It's something almost every single one of us struggles with.

Also, I know I'm like three weeks late commenting on this, but...oh well. :)

Mike said...

I wouldn't have a problem if the girls who ran these sites were talking about their struggles with having skinny friends...my problem is that they advocate starving or purging yourself as a solution and seem totally and completely happy with the idea.