CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 20, 2011

What I've Been Up To

I realize that I haven't updated this blog properly in months. I'm quite sorry. So, to appease those of you that still read this...a brief retrospective on what I've learned this school year, and some very important non-school phenomena.


--I really couldn't have asked for a better floor than D5. I had a bit of a hard time finding people to hang out with until the floor started coming together. These guys (and a few girls) helped make life bearable when everything else sucked, and I've probably had more laughs this year than any other. So many inside jokes, so many long nights. Totally worth it. Thanks for making me feel like I belonged, guys. (Connor and Jaclyn, honorary D5 status means you = guys.)


--I'm figuring out the way my mind works in an academic setting. If I'm not very intrigued by your subject matter, or if your class isn't challenging me, I will not perform well. I excelled in JOUR200 this year because my prof (Dr. Kirch) was the MAN, and almost every class posed a thought-provoking question about the nature of my future career. My lowest final grade was in COMM107, an absurdly easy class. I just had no motivation to do well, and it showed. (I could get a whole blog post about how stupid that class was...another time, perhaps. Actually, while writing this post, the professor pulled off another move of remarkable stupidity...) Hopefully the challenge will get ramped up in future semesters, though I'm going to need time for...


--Peake. Wow. I knew that everyone there could play their instruments, but the improvement was still remarkable. At first I missed the closely knit Souderton drumlines, probably because I was really close with a lot of Mirage members outside of drumline. And then Wildwood happened. I realized how close we all were. I saw grown men and women cry. It was incredible. I wish I'd had more time to hang out with the members of the line (because everyone knows I'm not social in a rehearsal setting).


And, arguably more importantly, I felt something I've never felt before: sweet, sweet victory. I'm not trying to brag (it's not like it was my individual efforts that got Peake that gold medal), but it was a truly incredible feeling. We were rockstars. People came to watch us rehearse and STAYED. People we'd never met cheered us on. I was so used to hearing my organization's score near the bottom of the barrel; it was great to win. And I'd encourage any percussionists to come join Peake. Hint hint.


--Maryland marching band...well, you guys were fun. I just can't perform in a noncompetitive setting. I love the people, but...eh, not for me.


But I'm grateful I did it last year...because that was where I met Winger, who told me about Peake, which was awesome, and that was where I heard about Windsor, which will hopefully be just as awesome.


--I really miss sleeping in. Just sayin'.


--I've finally realized a very powerful reason to enter the journalism field, as cutthroat and low-paying as it may be.


Journalists tell the public what to think. If a story's not reported, it's like it never happened, and you don't think about it. The way we write a story influences how you interpret it, whether you'll admit it or not.


I'm aiming to be a music journalist. I'll get to be a part of what shapes the musical tastes of America (and you know well that I'll only promote the artists that deserve it). Suddenly, this major doesn't seem so bleak after all.


That's all I've got for now...I know this all was rather incoherent, I seem to have forgotten how to write blog posts well. Ah well, maybe next time.

2 comments:

Emily said...

In my JRNL 105 class we learned that journalists don't tell people what to think, but what to think about.

Which I still have a hard time separating. But I'm with you. I don't think journalism's the wrong way to go, despite what people keep telling me about papers. And the key word there is PAPER. But I'm not holding a pen right now, am I?

Let's get together for coffee sometime soon. :)

Mike said...

I can understand the separation...but I kind of disagree. We may tell the observant readers what to think about, but we tell the vast majority what to think.

And I agree, we must get coffee in the VERY near future.