CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, May 17, 2010

Injustice

A handful of girls, none of whom I know, had to leave the Renfrew Center, a clinic for people with eating disorders, way early. Not because they needed more advanced treatment. Not because they made astounding progress. Not because of a huge family emergency.

They left because their families couldn't afford it. Why is that? Because the health insurance companies won't cover them once any progress towards physical health has been made.

Let me rephrase that in caps lock to simulate how I would say this aloud, which would ideally be shouted into a bullhorn plugged into every amp Metallica owns.

HEALTH INSURANCE COMPANIES WON'T HELP GIRLS WITH ANOREXIA AND BULIMIA TO GET WHAT THEY NEED TO TREAT THEIR CONDITIONS ONCE THEY'VE "MADE PROGRESS."

The sheer greed of this astounds and infuriates me. Remind me to put that in the top 5 things I need to change in this world once I take it over.

Also, more personally: I'm dealing with the burden of having two of the people I love most in the Renfrew Center. Do not EVER tell me you "need more attention," especially if you've paid basically no attention to me all my life.

----------------
Now playing: Rise Against - Survive

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well of course-to them, it's 'pre-existing'. Not that it's right, it's heinous. Obamacare to the rescue? Perhaps. If anyone knew what it said.

Mike said...

Obamacare doesn't eliminate private health care. I understand the concept of denying people coverage for money's sake, but to get them in Renfrew for a week and kick them out is ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

But it does open up other options. An I completely agree, it's an awful situation that is bound to cause bigger problems in the future for these girls.