CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Teenagers deserve a GOOD book.

Remember when I said I was going to write poetry? Don't count on that any time soon. I've little patience to write that sort of thing aside from the songs/poetry that I'll keep very personal for some time. So let's go on a different path.

I hate The Catcher in the Rye. It is a terribly pretentious book. I dislike the stream-of-consciousness style it uses. It revolves around a boy who finds everything around him "phony," yet its style feels forced and fake.

But I will give the late JD Salinger credit for having the literary balls to take on the tremendously complicated task of writing a book about teenage life in a way that doesn't insult the intelligence of teenagers or the reader.

Teenage life is a topic most often left to Young Adult Fiction shelves in public libraries, filled with series most often read by adolescent girls who get addicted to them for a few months and them forget them entirely (at least, that's how my sister does it). The books are cheesy, heavy-handed sermons preaching truths that have been drilled into our heads since the dawn of time, and the plots are simplistic and predictable (as Stephanie Meyers has proven, not even vampires and werewolves can keep a teenage romance from a ridiculously cliched ending).

Yet teenage life, as I can attest, is an absurdly complicated stage of life. So much hides beneath the stereotypes. Nobody falls under one label perfectly. Nobody is an archetype. We are weird, emotionally charged, complex individuals facing the greatest questions of life with are shining paragons of a hopeful future; at our worst we find all manner of ways to mutilate and destroy ourselves. We live the life of the old Romantics, only somewhat hindered by our relative youth. We're ambitious but forced to serve beneath those we find incompetent, yet, to quote an excellent song, "With answers for the world, the ambiguity shows." (100 points to whomever identifies the song.) We're scatterbrained (as that last parenthetical shows), witty, progressive, technophilic, satiric, perspicacious (this is easily my new favorite word) revolutionaries lost in a world that's as confused by us as we are confused by it.

So why the heck doesn't anyone try to write any "capital-l Literature," as Mr. McLaughlin calls it, about adolescence? I know we have our own stories of ideal teenage literature, but let's be honest--we weren't trying to write anything artistically huge. And adults really can't write about this experience after having gone through it; Salinger tried, and I think he oversimplified.

No, I think the teenage years are a topic best left to those in the middle of them. To that end, I'm very strongly considering carving time out of the summer/free time (whenever I end up getting it) to write a novel that does justice to the teenage experience. I know nothing of plot; I only know that it would have to be first-person, but from several different perspectives.

Here I pose a question to you, all three of you that read this.

If one was to write such a novel, what would have to be a part of it? What are the essential parts of teenager-dom that would NEED to be mentioned? What makes the 21st-century teenager who he/she is, as opposed to Salinger's 1950s teen?

4 comments:

Joe said...

I think there should be love and romance. Teenagers are carnal beings that lust after each other all the time. So that's important.

Also, I would put in some great expectations.

It should end uncertainly.

Also, it should be written like E.L. Konigsburg. Read her stuff.

Emily said...

I like this idea, but you have to realize that you aren't the "typical" teenager. Let's be honest: most of them just want to party.

Which, for your character, might be an integral part. How do you cope with wants and desires that clash with the people who are so like you but also so unlike you?

I know that he's technically more of a young adult than anything else, but I very much enjoyed the way Ellison's "Invisible" looked at the world. Even though Invisible Man dealt heavily with racial issues, it was very "coming-of-age" as well, in a way that most novels fail to grasp. If you can, incorporate that feeling of not knowing what to be but knowing what NOT to be.

Unknown said...

Search for self-identity, romantic relationships, friends, parents, jobs, teachers, and technology are among the things that first pop into my head.

You might find out that the 1950s and 2000s teens aren't so different in the challenges they face. Sure, the details are different, but the archetypes remain.

Oh and if you're looking to be the Next Great American Author that future AP Literature students will study, definitely be ambiguous.

Mike said...

Joey--No Dickens references, please. That book was not fun...

Emily--"I like this idea, but you have to realize that you aren't the "typical" teenager."

Well, this then gives me the ability to critique what I see as typical...and also, the atypical teens need a voice too.

I think, at heart, all teenagers have a few common desires: acceptance, success, romantic love. I'll probably have to force myself to write about a character who isn't like me (I plan to have three or four protagonists), but I think (at least right now), that I can make it work on that common ground. And if I wrote something at all like Invisible Man, I'd be ecstatic.

Will: Sounds like a good list (though I can't write about jobs from experience). And I think our challenges may have the same root, but the details are so different that it's almost an entirely different animal. Lions and bears are both very dangerous mammals, but that doesn't mean you deal with them in the same way.

As for ambiguity, that was a given with the subject matter, not just for aspirations for greatness. I can pretty safely guarantee that the ending will resolve very little.

Thanks for all your comments and advice!