CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, November 15, 2009

*fin.

(If you're not in band, this post will be almost entirely meaningless. Sorry.)

I had my doubts going into Saturday, and I think they were justified. This year has been tumultous to say the least. There were internal struggles and circumstances beyond our control that hurt the band. There was frustration and hatred and a lack of brotherhood. But we had a pretty decent show on Friday, and I just had this cliched storybook feeling that it would somehow work out in the end.

Guess which one was right.

I've never felt like that on a football field before. From the first chord of The Golden Egg, I knew this show was going to rule. From the tears of our drum major at our last Saturday practice, I knew this show was going to rule. From the cries of "SOUDERTON! HAWOO! HAWOO! HAWOO!" I knew this show was going to rule. And it did. I place a lot of weight on what judges say. I'm competitive. Screw the numbers. That show ruled and we knew it, every one of us. Seniors, I think that was the best show we've ever done.

So...now what? It's over. (Yeah, yeah, parades. But even the staff knows they're not the same as the field show.) I'm not that sentimental of a guy, but I'll miss this. I put four years of my life into churning out field shows. I've seen people undergo transformations I could never have dreamed (Ryan Hardy, anyone? Heck...you that remember me my freshman year, did you honestly think I'd be able to march?).

But more importantly. Freshmen/sophomores/juniors...don't forget this. How much time did we seniors waste because we gave up on the freshmen? How much dischord was there because the classes didn't get along? I know I was guilty of discrimination, and all it does is tear the band apart. Don't let that happen. We united Saturday, and it showed.

Remember how you felt these past two days. Remember the energy, the focus, the discipline, the brotherhood/sisterhood. Bring it back for 2010-2011 and every season after that. Don't save it for championships. Bring it every day. Straka always says to leave it all on the field. Well, you did on Saturday. And how awesome was it? What if you could have that all the time? What if you all made conscious efforts to make sure there was never a bad practice? I thought for years that the staff was holding us back. I was wrong. The only thing holding us back was US. If you guys strive with everything you have...the possibilities are endless.

I'm being totally hokey, I know. But it's true. This is my challenge to all of you who are returning next year: make your field show even better than Trials of the Chosen One. It's completely possible. Everyone loved La Nouba last year, but there's no question we performed this show better than La Nouba. I know you guys can top this if you strive for it. Let the freshmen-to-be catch your fire. If you guys truly love what you're doing, they'll see it. They'll respond. And the results will be awesome.

Way to go, Big Red.

0 comments: