CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 22, 2010

Sacrilege

Yesterday I went biking. The weather was just too good to pass it up.

I decided to break my normal routine of just doing laps around my neighborhood. I went straight out past the old high school and realized I wasn't far from my old church. So I biked around the parking lot for nostalgia's sake.

On my way home I saw three people; they could have been son, father and grandfather. The father was talking to the grandfather, and the kid was standing there. I couldn't discern his age--he could have been a very hefty thirteen-year-old or a slightly-bigger-than-normal fifteen-year old. He might have been playing basketball--there was one in his arms. But what I saw was a phone with a QWERTY keyboard. He was texting with both hands.

All around him spring was lighting up the sky, heralding winter's defeat. And I, the kid who spends the vast majority of his life indoors, was outside, engaging in an activity that I've loved for a good decade. (To be fair, I was listening to my iPod, and I would take occasional breaks to text Diana.)

There was something almost sacrilegious about this scene.

----------------
Now playing: Styx - The Grand Illusion

3 comments:

Joe said...

Oh, comments work now. Perhaps he was just texting temporarily and was actually going to play basketball later?

Mike said...

Entirely possible. But I only saw that split second.

And yes, comments don't fail anymore.

M.Gillmer said...

The nice weather brings memories of better days. Ones lost, spent in a daze. How I long once more, to wilt in summer's gaze.

Random poetry is random. I spend all day inside for class and what have you.