CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Evils of Coffee...and band names!

I hate coffee. It tastes like liquid dirt. (Yes, that would be mud.)

I also think that natural selection will have erased this trait of mine from existence in 100 years or less. (I know that's abnormally fast. I'm making a point.)

I probably SHOULD enjoy coffee. Well, I do enjoy coffee from Starbucks where there's more dairy products than cacao beans. But otherwise, it tastes so bad that I can't drink enough to let the caffeine do anything. This is a problem. I'm an AP student which means I've got another semester of late nights staring at an online Calc textbook written in a language that only vaguely resembles English. And college will, doubtless, bring at least four more years of this self-induced sleep deprivation.

Here I must confess: my definition of "sleep deprivation" is six hours or less. When I grew up, staying up late was never a big deal to me--I went to bed as soon as I was tired. Only in the past two years or so did that really start to change. (Well, I still go to bed when I'm tired...and when my Calc and Lit homework is done.)

So maybe I'm not as good as running on four hours of sleep as the rest of my peers. (Honestly, how do you DO that?!) But I find myself with a strange thought.

Sleep is a cruel master.

Think about it. It only exists for us when we do nothing else, and it's one of the best parts of a long day. But thinking about how much/little sleep you're going to get at the end of the day only frustrates and disappoints and makes sleep more elusive. The more you think about sleep, the less likely you are to fall asleep. And with each passing year I sleep less (even this past summer was filled with early rising to go to colleges).

So either natural selection will make it easier for us to sleep, or we'll be able to function on less...I feel like those who can use more of the day to get work done will earn more money and rise to the top in a 21st-century version of natural selection. (Or maybe the sleepers just won't get any food and die off. In that case, I'm really screwed. Also, I'm totally addicted to parenthetical statements. Sorry.)

Just some thoughts for you.

Here are some less serious thoughts. I've been keeping a running list of things I've said in everyday conversation or things that just popped into my head that I think would make great band names (not that I plan on starting a band or anything...it just seems cool.) So go ahead, comment away on the ones you like, or start your own list of what you'd potentially name a band. (By the way, these are my Top 10. The rejects included less serious names, like A Sudden Craving for Mutton. I have no idea how that came up in my head.)

1. This Night Surrounds Me (sounds kinda emo, but I like it a lot. Indirectly inspired by Emery's song "Dear Death, Part 1" which has the line "Esta' noche sera' mia" which translates to "This night will be mine," but 'sera'' sounds like 'surround'...it makes sense to me.

2. The Victory Sporadic (Inspired by another band named A Constant Sporadic...I'm jealous of how cool that name is.)

3. Silver Thunder (What I name all my Rock Band/ Guitar Hero bands.)

4. Constant Chapter (Origin unknown. It's right next to "Constant Crash" in my original list.)

5. The Chorus of Failure (What I used to label the sound of multiple people losing The Game at once.)

6. In Hopeless Protest (Not sure where I got that.)

7. Afterhand (Why is there 'beforehand' but no 'afterhand'?)

8. Red Dawn (One of the longest-running candidates for a band name, [yes, I've been making up imaginary bands in my head for years], up there with Graysong and Paranoia 5. Where that last one came from, I have no clue.)

9. Thoughtspace (Just a cool word.)

10. The Albatross Company (Sounds like an indie band, no?)

...Yeah, I'm really weird.



----------------
Now playing: Passenger - Table For One
via FoxyTunes

0 comments: